Why do you need to know them?
The RCVS is the Royal College of Veterinary Surgeons, an active public body, independent from the Government.
why is the rcvs so important?
- Being part of the Register of the Royal College of Veterinary Surgeons is the first step you need to take in order to be able to work in the United Kingdom as a Veterinary Surgeon. You are unlikely to receive a job offer unless you are registered with the RCVS.
- The Royal College of Veterinary Surgeons regulate the Veterinary Surgeons and hold a Register for Veterinary Nurses.
- When you register with the RCVS you become a Member of the Royal College of Veterinary Surgeons – MRCVS.
- If you are not registered with the RCVS you cannot perform any medical acts as a veterinary surgeon legally.
- Being registered with the Royal College of Veterinary Surgeons is mandatory for practising as a vet in the UK.
Registering with the RCVS
Since 2021, the rules for EU vets to register with the RCVS have changed. Your degree is now only recognised if you graduate from an EAEVE-accredited university at the time of your graduation date. This means that several EU degrees are no longer recognised by the RCVS, such as the majority of veterinary degrees from Portuguese universities. If your degree is no longer recognised, you will need to sit and pass the RCVS Exam in order to register.
You now also need to send scores of an official English exam, such as the IELTS or the OET.
Registration and the examination
The RCVS exam takes place once a year and has three parts:
- Multiple choice questionnaire on small animal, farm, equine and public health
- Multiple choice questionnaire on professionalism and the Code of Conduct
- A series of practical tasks called OSCEs
Prepare your Registration and MRCVS Examination
VetSwot has created an online course that is very affordable and covers all of the modules that you need for the RCVS Exam, including the OET test you need to pass before.
The discount codes are no longer active but our affiliate link still provides you a 10% discount.
You need to use our link to get the discounted price.
Frequently Asked Questions
Is there a preparation course for the examination?
Do I need to do the RCVS examination?
You need to take and pass the RCVS examination if you did NOT graduate from:
- A EU University
- An AVMA-approved university
- Other universities from Commonwealth countries (Canada, Australia, South Africa)
Is the RCVS exam difficult?
In general, yes. The format of the exam changed in 2019. Therefore we can’t tell for sure about the average pass rate. Previously, the pass rate for the exam was low, anywhere between 10 to 45% depending on the year.
How many parts does the exam have?
The exam has three parts. You can learn more about it on UK VetSchool.
How much does the exam cost?
The fee for sitting the exam in 2020 was £2500.