Why do you need to know them?
The RCVS is the Royal College of Veterinary Surgeons, an active public body, independent from the Government.
why is the rcvs so important?
- Being part of the Register of the Royal College of Veterinary Surgeons is the first step you need to take in order to be able to work in the United Kingdom as a Veterinary Surgeon;
- The Royal College of Veterinary Surgeons regulate the Veterinary Surgeons and hold a Register for Veterinary Nurses;
- When you register with the RCVS you become a Member of the Royal College of Veterinary Surgeons – MRCVS;
- If you are not registered with the RCVS you cannot perform any medical acts as a veterinary surgeon legally;
- Being registered with the Royal College of Veterinary Surgeons is mandatory for practicing in the UK.
Registering with the RCVS
registering made easy
Registering with the RCVS may be more or less simple depending on where you come from. If all goes well, you’ll just need to go through some paperwork to get it sorted.
But in some cases, you need to take an examination (not particularly easy or cheap) in order to be able to register.
Rules will change for EU vets from EAEVE non-accredited universities starting in January 2021!
Learn more about this on UK VetSchool.
The most fundamental document for any Veterinary Surgeon in the UK is the Code of Professional Conduct for Veterinary Surgeons
This document sets all the rules for the profession, your responsibilities to animals, clients, the profession, to your fellow veterinary team, to the public and to the RCVS itself.
Because the laws, culture and welfare are likely different from those of your own country, the RCVS reckons you should try to familiarise with these. All this information can be overwhelming, which is why we offer specific help on UK VetSchool.
Registration and the examination
Prepare your Registration and MRCVS Examination
VetSwot has created an online course that is very affordable and covers all of the modules that you need for the RCVS Exam, including the OET test you need to pass before.
By using our discount code UKVETMOVE when you register for the course, you receive a 10% discount.
Frequently Asked Questions
Is there a preparation course for the examination?
Yes, there is! 🙂 VetSwot has put together a complete course and they offer a 10% discount to those who use the code UKVETMOVE when you register.
Do I need to do the RCVS examination?
You need to take and pass the RCVS examination if you did NOT graduate from:
- A EU University
- An AVMA-approved university
- Other universities from Commonwealth countries (Canada, Australia, South Africa)
Is the RCVS exam difficult?
In general, yes. The format of the exam changed in 2019. Therefore we can’t tell for sure about the average pass rate. Previously, the pass rate for the exam was low, anywhere between 10 to 45% depending on the year.
How many parts does the exam have?
The exam has three parts. You can learn more about it on UK VetSchool.
How much does the exam cost?
The fee for sitting the exam in 2020 was £2500.